Fall 2022 The Liar’s Daughter

Date-9.26.22-9.27.22


 The Liar’s Daughter

Written by Megan Cooley Peterson


About from Goodreads.com

Piper was raised in a cult. 


She just doesn't know it. 


Seventeen-year-old Piper knows that Father is a Prophet. Infallible. The chosen one.

She would do anything for Father. That's why she takes care of all her little sisters. That's why she runs end-of-the-world drills. That's why she never asks questions. Because Father knows best.

Until the day he doesn't. Until the day the government raids the compound and separates Piper from her siblings, from Mother, from the Aunts, from all of Father's followers--even from Caspian, the boy she loves.

Now Piper is living Outside. Among Them.

With a woman They claim is her real mother--a woman They say Father stole her from.

But Piper knows better. And Piper is going to escape.



Enjoyed

  • How Piper deals with the aftermath of being brainwashed

  • How the cult activity is extremely realistic

  • A tearful read 



Disliked

  • It took a bit to get into (but once I did I enjoyed the book)



Quotes I love

  • It makes me sad that people on the Outside don't take care of each other, that they need shelters at all.


Review

    This was a very enjoyable read, not my favorite but, still enjoyable nonetheless. A sort of an issue that was not the writer's fault. It  was that the normal places that I find my trigger warning stuff, didn't have this book on it so I was walking in pretty blind and this book had triggers in it that if I knew there were them I probably wouldn’t have picked this up (which honestly my fault that I didn't think about how cult behavior could trigger my religious trauma.) 

    Like I said before this was an enjoyable read but, that was after I got ¼ into the book but, once I did this book was pretty much in my hand constantly, I even fell asleep last night reading it because I was enjoying it. I did take a point away because it took away because it did take me a while to get into it. 

    Once I got past that part it started picking up. I was able to see myself in Piper because when I was younger I was Brainwashed by someone who I thought was like a family member. So seeing her go through having to reconstruct everything she believed in, made me feel not alone even though she is just a fictional character, but isn't that the wonderful thing about reading? The ability to see yourself in the story, know you aren't alone, or just a chance to escape. This is why I enjoy reading as much as I do.

Wow, I didn't expect this review to get that deep but, once a book does that it automatically goes to 5 stars because it gave me so much to think about. Initially, I was gonna give this book a 3 but, now it's a 5. 



 5/5 ⭐️



Info


Trigger warning-  Cult Activity,  Religious Trauma, Kidnapping, Brainwashing


Spice level- 1 / 5 🌶


Other books in the Series-NA


Publish date-September 2019 


Awards-NA


Genres- YA, Thriller






Comments

Popular Posts