August 2022 Review of The Witches Daughter (Witches Daughter #1)

Date-8.26.22-8.30.22


 The Witch's Daughter (The Witch’s Daughter #1)

Written by Paula Brackson


About from Goodreads.com

My name is Elizabeth Anne Hawksmith, and my age is three hundred and eighty-four years. Each new settlement asks for a new journal, and so this Book of Shadows begins.

In the spring of 1628, the Witchfinder of Wessex finds himself a true Witch. As Bess Hawksmith watches her mother swing from the Hanging Tree she knows that only one man can save her from the same fate at the hands of the panicked mob: the Warlock Gideon Masters, and his Book of Shadows. Secluded at his cottage in the woods, Gideon instructs Bess in the Craft, awakening formidable powers she didn't know she had and making her immortal. She couldn't have foreseen that even now, centuries later, he would be hunting her across time, determined to claim payment for saving her life.

In present-day England, Elizabeth has built a quiet life for herself, tending her garden and selling herbs and oils at the local farmers' market. But her solitude abruptly ends when a teenage girl called Tegan starts hanging around. Against her better judgment, Elizabeth begins teaching Tegan the ways of the Hedge Witch, in the process awakening memories—and demons—long thought forgotten.

Part historical romance, part modern fantasy, The Witch’s Daughter is a fresh, compelling take on the magical, yet dangerous world of Witches. Readers will long remember the fiercely independent heroine who survives plagues, wars, and the heartbreak that comes with immortality to remain true to herself, and protect the protégé she comes to love.


Review

    Warning might be some spoilers. If you don’t want spoilers please skip down to the Enjoyed section of the review. 

    I enjoyed reading this book. Even though GoodReads had one low reviews, what concerned me, which was mainly about the writing style. I was still willing to check it out because I was very interested in what the story was about.

Personally I disagree with the bad reviews based on the writing style, for the most part. I loved how Brackson had parts that were diary. As a child I would write stories that were in diary form.  

Another thing I thought Brackson did well was she had many twists and turns that I never expected like that Simon ended up being Gideon and that his “sister” Abigail ended up being a witch herself. 

I did have some issues with this book but for the most part I am just being nit picky. Like how the Enshide (fairies) were portrayed. In real life they are tricksters and are very dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. 

My second issue I had was the romances felt like they came out of nowhere, there was no build up. Which is one of my biggest pet peeves. 

Even though I did have a few issues. I enjoyed the story. It wasn’t my my favorite but it was still a good read.



Enjoyed

  • The writing style, even though some reviewers absolutely hated it. I loved the uniqueness of it.


  • The twists and turns which made it so I never could expect what was coming next



Disliked

  • Romances seemed to come out of nowhere


  • As a witch I had issues with how the Enshide, where depicted but, that is me being picky.



Quotes I love

  • Since then, the ladies of the night had themselves policed the area, never allowing their beaux to venture anywhere near the house or their beloved doctor.


  • However satisfying she found it to help those who could not otherwise afford medical care, and however much she enjoyed her work at the Fitzroy, by the end of each day she was invariably weary. It was not simply the long hours that wore her down. It was the lack of companionship in her life


  • Don’t let Sister put the wind up you, Nurse,’ he said in a soft Welsh lilt. ‘She’s our secret weapon, see? When they’ve run out of men at the Front, we’re going to send her over the top. Those Germans won’t stand a chance.




3 /5 ⭐️


Info

Other books in series-The Return of the Witch


Trigger warning-  rape, animal abuse, Stalking, murder,


Spice level- 3 / 5 🌶


Numbers of pages- 305


Publish date-January 2011


Awards-NA


Genres- Fantasy, Historical fiction, Supernatural, 








Comments

Popular Posts