August 2022 review We have always lived in the castle

Date-8.23.22


 We Have Always Lived in the Castle

Written by Shirley Jackson


About from Goodreads.com

    My name is Mary Katherine Blackwood. I am eighteen years old, and I live with my sister Constance. I have often thought that with any luck at all I could have been born a werewolf, because the two middle fingers on both my hands are the same length, but I have had to be content with what I had. I dislike washing myself, and dogs, and noise, I like my sister Constance, and Richard Plantagenet, and Amanita phalloides, the death-cap mushroom. Everyone else in my family is dead...


Review

    For me this book is far from being my favorite. I enjoyed the storyline and the narrator. Just the story went super slow for me. I understand where others would love this book, I mean it's a classic for a reason. I’ve just came to the conclusion that I personally don’t enjoy Jackson’s writing style because I didn't really enjoy this book or ‘The Haunting of Hill House’.

    Even though I didn’t enjoy it, I believe even every reader should read the classics just once.



Enjoyed

  • Story is interesting 

  • Unreliable narrator 



Disliked

  • The story went to slow for me



Quotes I love

  • Na





1/5 ⭐️


Info

Trigger warning-  Murder, Mental Illness, Sexual Abuse, Domestic Abuse, Agoraphobia


Spice level-  / 5 🌶


Numbers of pages- 146


Publish date-September 1962


Awards- Tahtifantasia Award Nominee (2019)


Genres- psychological horror, mystery, thriller, classics 





Comments

Popular Posts